Bloober Team and Anshar Studios have finally debuted the first Layers of Fear gameplay preview, featuring 11 minutes of gameplay from the new Lighthouse chapter and following the Writer character. The video shows off the Unreal Engine 5 definitive edition’s numerous graphical improvements over the original titles, as well as the new lantern object that can be used for both illumination and self-defense.
Watch the Layers of Fear gameplay preview below:
Bloober Team and Anshar Studios’ Layers of Fear title is intended to combine the 2016 and 2019 titles including their respective expansions into a seamless, refreshed experience. The game also features an original DLC chapter titled “The Final Note,” which provides a different perspective of the first game’s events through the Painter’s Wife. Additionally, an original Lighthouse chapter following a new “Writer” character has been added to bridge the two games’ individual storylines.
As the Writer explores the abandoned Lighthouse in the gameplay video, he is haunted by memories of his marital troubles as well as supernatural horrors and unexplainable imagery akin to the narrative format of the original games. The protagonist also picks up a lantern over the course of his journey, which can be used to illuminate areas for a limited time before it enters a cooldown phase. The lantern can also be used for self-defense and to manipulate certain objects.
The new Layers of Fear game’s key features include:
- The Ultimate Layers of Fear Experience – The series’s crowning work casts an overarching narrative over the entire franchise.
- Horror Reimagined – Everything in the Layers of Fear series melds together into a single experience, including all DLCs, so players can find all the answers they seek.
- Shocking New Looks – Enhanced with Unreal Engine 5’s improved technology. This version offers a more immersive horror experience with the addition of Ray Tracing, HDR, 4K resolution, and the Lumen system.
- Psychological Horror – A grim but gripping first-person psychedelic horror game focused on tense exploration, puzzle-solving, and immersive storytelling. Discover what lies in the depths of the human psyche with this mature, cathartic game.
- New tricks – New brand-new core mechanics that will be introduced to Layers of Fear and its sequel, as well as additional features, so all the chapters and stories will blend seamlessly
- Horror Through the Many Lenses of Art – Explore the depths of obsession with three different stories of craft-obsessed protagonists (The Painter, The Actor and The Writer) which are interwoven to create a truly immersive experience and gripping storyline
- Classical, Ominous Soundtrack – Hauntingly beautiful soundtrack composed by the highly-acclaimed musician Arek Reikowski. He has composed a hypnotic score that adds an extra layer of tension to the game and will leave you on the edge of your seat
The game is set for a June 2023 release for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S. Meanwhile, Bloober Team’s work on the Silent Hill 2 remake continues steadily.